Thursday, March 7, 2013

Post Pneumonia

Hmm, so after a week of being home sick and then 3 weeks of just trying to catch up at work and survive the day, I am finally feeling pretty normal.

Pneumonia really wiped me out completely. Illness and Adrenal Fatigue tend to really like each other and keep having parties in my body.  Fatigue affects my immune system allowing me to get sick, keeping me sick for longer then normal, and then because my body spent so much energy getting me healthy again, I am back to the bottom of the fatigue pit. Add in the antibiotics that trash my intestines and, well yeah... it is a vicious cycle, really. Getting sick is a huge setback in the whole healing process.

After the antibiotics started kicking in, and I could walk around again without feeling as though I was dying, I was really disheartened. I felt like I did last year when I was diagnosed, like everything I had gone through- all the restrictive diets, rest, stress management- it was all for nothing. I had to go back on the Cortisol pills, could barely get myself out of bed, and had all the major stomach issues that caused me seek help in the first place. I really was super disheartened for a while there! All I wanted to do was sleep and not eat anything, because everything made me sick! So, what did I do? I knew I needed the cortisol, so I called my doctor and got a new prescription. I took it twice a day for 2 weeks, then as needed for the last 2 weeks.  I upped my probiotics, actually followed my diet quite well, and rested ALOT! Like going to bed at 6-7 pm and sitting as much as I could at work.

The results? Success! For the last two days I have gotten up with my alarm, been early to work, had enough energy when I got home to do the laundry and cook and clean up a bit. I honestly thought that when I hit the bottom again, it would be a long haul to be normal, but what I found is that my body is much more resilient now then it was a year ago. Pneumonia would have probably hospitalized me last year, but I was able to come back so much quicker than I ever imagined! I still have bad days, and there was a while when I thought the Pneumonia was coming back and I almost screamed, but I actually feel well, normal, human even! I am so thankful!

I do have 2 pretty awesome recipes to share with you. as I mentioned previously, I have actually been cooking! No taco bell for the Yoders! :-) Now, I must warn you... I am not an excellent cook, nor do I understand the art of plating a dish to make it look pretty... I know nothing about technique or fancy cooking, but I can throw things in a pot and pray they dont burn! These two both turned out really well!

The first recipe is FAJITAS! yum :-)
I found Chicken for $1.59 a pound, peppers for $.88 each, threw in one onion, a ton of cumin, chili pepper, cayenne, garlic, salt and pepper in a pan and sauteed it up! I am all for quick and easy 1 pan dishes. This fed Dan and I for 2 days! I don't really use measurements for my spices, I just make it to taste... sorry if that does not help you much...


The second dish is a complete creation that I made just because I was craving white pepper. I am actually really proud of how it turned out!

So, I cooked some ground turkey, while boiling my favorite rice pasta- Tinkyada brand... I love their shell pasta :-) and a bag of frozen veggies- a medley of celery, onion, and carrots. The spices I used were white pepper, thyme, garlic, and a little bit of oregano. White pepper is one of my new addictions, and I wanted to make a meal where I could really taste it. Once the turkey and veggies were done, I mixed in the pasta to make like a warm pasta salad type dish. I thought everything went together really well, plus it has my veggies, carbs, and protein all in one bowl. So easy, plus super affordable.


Well, tomorrow the PTO is buying us pizza, and I probably do not have the self discipline to say no, but the great thing about getting better is I can fudge a bit here and there and not feel like my intestines are staging a mutiny against the rest of my body.

Well, that is all for now! If you try either of those spice mixes, you should let me know what you think :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment