Friday, March 29, 2013

Don't Cry over Spilled Milk- Or a Forgotten Smoothie

Cutting out all of my comfort foods has been a really emotional experience for me this time around. I have been brought to tears multiple times just because of food. I am going to share my favorite crying story with you.

Last Wednesday I got up early enough to make my smoothie with enzymes and protein  packed my lunch, got ready for my day, and pleased my husband by actually leaving on time. Mornings are always a little rough for us because saying I am not a morning person is the understatement of a century. Typically I snooze for about an hour, jump up with 10 minutes left until I have to leave, shower, grab whatever food I need for the day, and leave the house about 5 minutes late. Dan typically makes me a smoothie while reminding me often that it is time to go. If Dan tries to talk to me until we are half way to school his words are met with grunts and glares.

So you can imagine why I was so excited to have gotten up when my alarm went off and made my own smoothie! Only problem was- we got half way to school and I realized that my smoothie was still home. I asked Dan if we could turn around, but because it was a testing day we really needed to be there on time. At this point I began to cry. Seriously?! I am typically a somewhat even keeled person, able to keep irrational emotions to myself, but I was so mad at myself for forgetting the only food that would hold me over until lunch. I was upset that there was no where I could stop that would truly be on my diet, and I was just tired and emotional. I also realized that each smoothie I make costs me $9.00 worth of products!

Dan proceeded to stop by Keva Juice and get me a smoothie. I was on the verge of tears the rest of the day. I know now to never forget my smoothie at home!

Anyways- with this being such an emotional experience, I have been searching for guilt free comfort foods. I have also been cooking multiple meals a night to keep me busy and full.

One thing I have been making a lot of is ICE CREAM! I can hear you all exclaiming "What? How is there any way she can eat ice cream?!" For those of you who are just tuning in let me give you a quick recap: I cannot eat any dairy, soy, or any fast processing sugar which includes sugar, honey, or maple syrup. There is not much left to resemble any sort of ice cream. What I CAN eat is coconut milk, agave, and coconut nectar. We got this awesome half pint sized ice cream maker for our wedding, and it has saved my emotional, comfort food craving soul.

Now, before I give you the recipe I have to warn you- I tried this out on my family- Dan says it is okay, my brother politely ate a few bites and then went for the real dairy free ice cream (with sugar), and my mom said "well, that tastes alternative.." But for me, it is frozen, somewhat sweet, and won't spike my blood sugar. For those of you who have dietary restrictions- I know you know what I am talking about! Nothing ever truly tastes like the real thing, but sometimes you need something that resembles the real thing!

So, here is my ice cream recipe
1 cup coconut milk
1-2 teaspoons light agave
1-2 teaspoons coconut nectar
1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract



I start with just a little bit of each of the flavorings and add to taste. If you don't have to cut out sugar- you can use real sugar with this, or honey, or any sweetener you like! I choose light agave because the darker the color, the stronger the taste.

Looking forward- my next blog will be tips on how to travel and deal with dietary restrictions!

No comments:

Post a Comment