Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Chicken, GF noodles, and Fresh Veggie Salad

Well, today is day four of my new dietary restrictions. It has been a rough four days! The last time I had to do this diet I lived at home and my mom cooked dinner, packed my lunches, and made my breakfast smoothies. I did not realize how nice I had it until Saturday when I had no food at home, any food I bought would need to be cooked, and I could not eat at any fast food restaurants. Also, I think my husband took the doctors advise to support me and do the restriction diet with me and ran the opposite direction. Also, I think the junk food demons are plotting against me, trying to tempt me into their sugary and greasy abyss. Let me tell you about my last 4 days.

Saturday Dan and I ran errands. Half way through we were both starving, so I got a carrot juice and banana Jamba Juice and Dan got Arby's. Not only did he get Arby's, I had to keep it on my lap while we drove home. Then, Saturday night Dan picked me up to head to an ice cream party with Taco Bell because he did not hear me say dinner was ready and in the fridge. How I love my husband! Don't worry, we were able to laugh about it.

Sunday Dan and I drove up into the mountains. For lunch Dan ate Jack in the Box and finished it off with a Caramello chocolate bar. I ate a qdoba naked burrito with black beans, no meat, and guac. Lunch was not too hard, but that chocolate bar called out to me the whole way home! By the time I pointed out that Dan had eaten fast food three times in 24 hours, he did agree to start eating a bit healthier.

Monday was staff lunch day and a team brought lovely tacos and toppings. The smell filled the halls and stayed all day. Oh how good it smelled. Plus day 3 was when the caffeine headaches and sugar headaches really hit hard. I was seriously on a war path. The staff also brought in 3 tubs of ice cream, and toppings galore! By the end of lunch I was in possibly the most foul mood I have ever been in, only to remember that my algebra class was bringing in pies to celebrate Pi day! 6 home made pies ranging from a divine looking chocolate, to key lime, to fruit pies. 12 students + 6 pies = lots of left overs! After work Monday, Dan took me to vitamin cottage and let me fill up a cart of snacks I can eat, no questions asked. So good to me!!!

Those last three days taught me that I must get used to others eating around me, and I cannot expect people around me to avoid food I cant eat! I have to find the self discipline and motivation to be content with the food I can eat, and be content with feeling well! I don't wish dietary restrictions on anyone!! Especially not Dan! I also do not want people to feel weird eating around me, so I need to get my attitude under control. I think as I get the sugar and caffeine withdrawals over and done with, it will be easier.

Tuesday has been better, as I have really gotten into cooking and making protein packed dishes that I can eat for dinner and lunch. I find that I need to eat twice as much food to stay full, and snack much more often or I am just a mean, horrible person. "The Healthy Gluten Free Life" Cookbook has been a huge blessing, and possibly the only think keeping me sane. Seriously- it has breakfast dishes, dinners, lunches, and deserts- most of which I can eat! My first recipe is a chicken veggie salad. It is inspired by a shrimp salad in the cookbook, just chicken-ized.

Chicken/Veggie Salad

I diced the following ingredients:

  • 2 roma tomatoes
  • 4 celery stalks
  • a handful of radishes
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1 red onion
  • 3 chicken breasts that I poached (use whatever protein you like)
  • 3 green onions
I added to that mix:
  • 2 small cans of sliced olives
  • 1/2 a bag of gluten free pasta
  • salt, pepper, and garlic to taste
Then I made the dressing:
  • 4 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp dijon mustard (I like the taste of mustard, so I used extra.. I would suggest less than 2 tbsp if you do not like a mustardy taste).
  • 4 Tbsp apple cider vinegar 
  • 1/2 tsp of each: oregano, thyme, onion powder and garlic powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
Mix it all together, and enjoy! I added kidney beans after the first 2 times I ate this salad, which really helped make it a full meal in my opinion. It helped me stay full a bit longer. 

What I absolutely loved about this is I can go to our farmers market, pick up the veggies on sale, and throw together a similar dish. I am in love with this salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment