Monday, November 5, 2012

A thimble?

Parasites, IBS, Food Allergies, PCOS, Food intolerances, Fatigue, Stress Hives... does anyone else feel as though every time you go to the doctor you get a new name for the fact that you are tired all the time, cant hold food down, and just cant seem to function like everybody else? 

Let me give you a quick medical recap:
I got parasites in Peru which tore up my insides pretty good, then went and finished my math degree in a year and a half, taught at an at risk school for my first 2 years of teaching while working on my masters degree in a year and wound up.... well, almost hospitalized. I could not keep food in side of me, I would wake up shaking in the morning so badly I could not drive, and I had to take a 2-3 hour nap every time I ate food. I had what seemed to be every test known to man done, which showed no reason for the extreme fatigue and periods of major stomach issues. I had a naturopathic test for food intolerances and found if I just stayed away from 80 foods I would feel healthy again. I recently was tested for Adrenal Fatigue, a newer diagnosis that not every doctor identifies... apparently only ones who have studied "functional medicine" diagnose it. It is a precursor to Addison's Disease, which from what I understand is just when your Adrenal gland says "peace out." So, after more elimination of foods and the addition of Hydrocortisone (which if you have been diagnosed with Adrenal Fatigue you HAVE to look into taking. It changed my world) I finally started feeling better. Then the reintroduction diet happened. I was feeling great so I kept adding more foods in... like Pizza, and Ice Cream, and Mac and Cheese... and then as any smart person would have guessed I got sick again. So sick that I was bedridden on my honeymoon and had stress hives covering 80% of my body for the first month of marriage!

My symptoms: 
muscle shakes, fatigue, irregular periods, headaches, all sorts of stomach problems, sporadic weight gain or loss, crashing after meal time, hives on stressful days, low immune system, and just feeling all around flu-ish every single day. Turns out they all have something in common: inflammation. Your Adrenal gland produces a hormone called cortisol that acts as an energy regulator and an anti inflammatory. 

Why I am writing this blog: 
I have really been feeling fatigued again, and I hate to admit it, but I think that food has a lot to do with that, so before going back on any medication I have decided to eliminate all foods then do a more thorough reintroduction. I am writing this blog mostly as a journal for me, but I know that others are out there feeling the same way I do and completely lost or needing encouragement. I figure that if I am going to journal my progress, I might as well do it in a way that others might benefit from it. I hope that others can read this blog and gain insight into how to feel normal again. I will be blogging about stress management, my ultra strict dietary regimen, how my symptoms change, and what seems to trigger that change. This blog will hopefully represent my journey to get well... and stay that way!

Why the thimble?
My doctor described that most people are given a gallon jug that they can fill with stress and food before they get ill. People with Adrenal Fatigue are given a thimble. I get a thimble's worth.. which means my body cannot handle the caffeine of a pumpkin spice latte, so instead I drink my white tea and wish it was pumpkin spice. 


The one resounding thing I have learned through this time of illness is that our bodies are quite amazing. It all ties together, so as I used to go to chiropractor for headaches, then had a doctor for my stomach, then went over to the girl doctor for girl problems, and just drank a crap ton of caffeine to counter the fatigue- instead there really was an underlying problem that explained it all! As I go through this there are 2 major books I am reading for 2 different reasons that have a connection. I will be referencing Dr. James Wilson's book "Adrenal Fatigue" and I highly recommend reading it if you are having health issues that are similar to what I have described. I am also reading and will reference less often "Taking Charge of Your Fertility." I think every woman should at least read that last one even if you are just going to take the pill... it is fascinating! Part of Adrenal Fatigue can be hormone imbalances that can prevent pregnancy.... not that my husband and I are trying yet but we want it to be an option when we decide to start trying. 


So there you have it. Probably not the most interesting blog of all times, but I am excited anyways. Tomorrow the elimination diet gets finalized so I will post those details soon! 


No comments:

Post a Comment